Yes, this is another 2016 year in review post. But it was a pretty good year for me!
- I ran in 5 new cities (Stockholm, Oslo, Bergen, Tampa, Seattle)
- The Burly Trail Runners were born (and we got shirts!)
- I ran in my first relay race (Morrain Adventure Relay) with some Burlies and had SO MUCH FUN
- I learned summer running isn’t so bad when you hide away in the trails with some friends.
- I explored new sections of (and around) The Bruce
- I ran my longest distance at my first trail race and won it!
- I consistently proved to myself I’m stronger than I think
The year didn’t start well for me with a chest infection and winter all arriving together I had some tough runs physically that started a domino of mental struggles that lasted until May/June. I held on and I pushed through and I spent the summer building myself back up.
It was around August when I really started feeling great again, it was then I realized I was not only back to where I was with my running, but stronger. I did a ton more trail running this year than last so all those hills have really helped me gain strength and paid off on the road too as a nabbed a Half marathon PR at the Oakville Half despite limited speed work.
And as mentioned I ran my longest distance yet (45.5km) in November at the Fat Ass Badass 6 Hour run and got Top Female Badass at the race for being first place female. One of my proudest moments of the year as it really caps off how far I’ve come since the start and I was so happy to have some Burlies there to share it with.
Outside of running I got to watch my oldest friend get married, welcomed some new members into my family – a sister-in-law and a puppy nephew. Travelled around Scandinavia with my best friend. And mostly just had a lot of fun! On the trails, in the pool, on my bike, on my SUP, with the Burlies, with other friends, it was a good year for me!
- 2,058.14 km of running
- 2,278.40 km + of running, swimming, SUP & biking
- Hundreds of hours of fun!